Environmental Permits Coordinator
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem.
- Under the direction of Directors and Program Managers in the Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources provide environmental review, permitting, design and planning support and coordination for the restoration and management of natural resources throughout the city. Provide expertise and organization in assuring compliance with wetlands, stormwater management, and other environmental regulations and restoration performance standards.
- Prepare wetland and stormwater permit applications for state and federal regulatory agencies, and complete wetland delineations and other field work in support of permit applications.
- Prepare site management plans, sediment and erosion control plans, maps and reports to submit to regulators, the public and funders; conduct research and assist with field assessments, as needed, to provide these plans.
- Coordinate with other city, state and federal regulatory agencies to meet regulatory requirements.
- Assist in monitoring the performance of resource management and restoration plans.
- Use ArcGIS software to map, visualize and spatially analyze data.
- Manage a variety of natural resource restoration, planning and management projects.
- Support senior staff in evaluating the effects of restoration and adaptive management actions on natural resources.
1. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health,
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
- Master’s degree in an environmental science, ecology, natural resource management or a related field.
- Excellent writing, organizational and interpersonal skills, including ability to work in a team.
- Field experience planning, permitting managing and implementing natural resource assessment, protection and restoration projects.
- Knowledge of wetlands and stormwater regulations and erosion control and stormwater pollution prevention techniques.
- Experience conducting field mapping and monitoring.
- Experience preparing permit applications, conducting associated monitoring and preparing reports for regulatory compliance.
- Strong GIS, spatial and statistical analysis, and data management skills.
- Experience reviewing and evaluating construction plans and specifications for the purpose of developing monitoring reports.
- Valid New York State driver license.
Salary: $59,708 - $72,246 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 04/21/17
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 285704
For details about NYC Parks go to www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.