Bosnia and Herzegovina nationals: Climate Change Expert
The purpose of this project is to transfer technologies for climate resilient flood management in Vrbas River Basin (VRB), UNDP, BiH to enable the communities of the Vrbas basin to adapt to flood risk through the transfer of adaptation technologies for climate resilient flood management, upgrade and rehabilitation of the hydrometric monitoring network, development of a flood forecasting system and early warning system, development of emergency response plans, and provision of training in flood-specific civil protection. Importantly, the project will provide targeted training on climate-induced FRM to over 100 practitioners and decisions makers, and will develop an institutional capacity development plan for the long-term development of capability and capacity in Flood Risk Management (FRM). The project will work closely with affected communities to introduce climate resilient community-based non-structural measures and provide training to local communities in climate resilient FRM. This will include the introduction of agro-forestry, community-based early warning systems, reforestation and introduction of financial instruments such as index-based flood insurance and credit deference schemes as a means of compensating for flood damages for agriculture.
The overall objective of this assignment is to prepare a plan of action for climate change adaptation in VRB with a focus on the most vulnerable sectors: agriculture and water management.
Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) is a middle income country which is still recovering from the 1992-1995 war which had a devastating impact on its human, social and economic resources, leading to enormous challenges of the post-war reconstruction and economic and social recovery. This challenge has been further compounded by the transition towards market economy requiring structural reforms and improved governance. The slow rate of the post-war economic recovery of Bosnia and Herzegovina has been compounded by the negative impacts of climate change on key sectors such as agriculture, energy (hydropower), the environment and, in particular, the frequency and magnitude of flood disasters, which have tripled in frequency in the last decade. In May 2014, Bosnia and Herzegovina experienced its worst flooding in 150 years which resulted in 23 deaths and $2.7 Billion USD worth of damages which is 15% of GDP, and is expected to result in a 1.1 percent contraction in the economy this year, compared to the growth of 2.2 percent that had been predicted before the flood.
BiH is significantly exposed to the threats of climate change, but has very limited capacity to address and adapt to its negative impacts, in particular the frequency and magnitude of floods from its major rivers. The Vrbas River basin is characterized by a large rural population comprised of the poorest and most vulnerable communities in BiH, including war returnees and displaced people, with high exposure to flooding and its devastating impacts.
Duties and Responsibilities
The expert should work in consultation with and under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager (PM). Specifically, his\her responsibilities are but not limited to the following:
- Review existing documentations prepared for Vrbas river basin (VRB) including but not limited to developed climate models, hydrological models, flood hazard and risk maps, national communications towards UNFCCC, local development strategies etc.;
- Analyze current situation and climate change impact on agriculture sector in VRB;
- Determine the impacts caused by droughts, floods and intense rainfalls, ice, increased winter temperatures;
- Having in mind integral approach to water management for floods/draughts, assess a need for water management measures in agricultural sectors, in line with developed climate change models;
- Assess vulnerability of the agriculture sector in VRB to climate change;
- Prepare detailed analysis of the most important crops in VRB;
- Provide an overview of adaptive capacity in agricultural sector in VRB;
- Identify and recommend adaptation measures in the respective sector;
- Prepare a plan of action for climate change adaptation in agricultural sector in VRB including identification of stakeholders, time frames for implementation, required financial resources, means of implementation and other issues important for effective implementation of adaptation plan;
- Archive and document all activities;
- Ensure the timely and effective management of the activities as scheduled;.
- Provide progress reports to the PM.
Deliverables and timelines
The consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:
- Report on climate change impact on water management needs in agricultural sector in VRB completed - 31 Jul 2017;
- Plan of action submitted and adopted by UNDP 30 Sept 2017.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modeling UN values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Knowledge on BiH gender equality mainstreaming institutions, regulations and mechanisms;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Strong oral and writing skills;
- Extensive knowledge of computer applications;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a fairly big team;
- Ability to operate under strict time limits.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in natural/engineering sciences;
- PhD should be considered as an asset.
- Minimum 10 (ten) years of professional experience in climate changes projects;
- Experience of the identification / development of climate changes adaptation measures and strategies;
- Knowledge of the institutional arrangements in BiH;
- Knowledge of the environmental issues in BiH;
- Experience with GEF funded projects should be considered an asset.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is a must.
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via this website. The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position and a brief methodology on how you will approach and conduct the work (if applicable). Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application;
- Filled P11 form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees (blank form can be downloaded from http://europeandcis.undp.org/files/hrforms/P11_modified_for_SCs_and_ICs.doc ); please upload the P11 instead of your CV;
- Financial Proposal* - specifying a total lump sum amount for the tasks specified in this announcement. The financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum amount (number of anticipated working days, travel, per diems and any other possible costs);
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials;
*Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee, health insurance and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services...). All envisaged travel costs must be included in the financial proposal.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodologies:
Lowest price and technically compliant offer
When using this method, the award of a contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as both:
- responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- offering the lowest price/cost.
“responsive/compliant/acceptable” can be defined as fully meeting the TOR provided.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points would be considered for the Financial Evaluation
- Background and education - Weight:20%; Maximum points: 20;
- Minimum 10 (ten) years of professional experience in climate changes projects - Weight: 20%; Maximum points: 20;
- Experience of the identification / development of climate changes adaptation measures and strategies - Weight:20%; Maximum points: 20;
- Fluency in both written and spoken English - Weight:10%; Maximum points: 10;
Financial - Weight:30%; Maximum points: 30;
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 62 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.