Disaster Risk Reduction and Urban Fellow
Disaster Risk Reduction & Urban Fellow/Intern
WEDO is seeking a motivated, justice-minded team player to work on 2 of WEDO’s key focus areas within sustainable development: urbanization and disaster risk reduction. The fellowship will support women’s meaningful participation in policy processes and decision-making as well as research, analysis and inputs to approach these issues through WEDO’s women human rights and gender equality lens.
Fellowship is available immediately. This position may be filled by 1 person who addresses both urbanization and disaster risk reduction. WEDO will also consider separating this to 2 positions, with a focus on each distinct area.
Key Responsibilities (May include but not limited to):
- Support WEDO's role as focal point for Women and Gender Constituency (WGC) for the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, for example, attend conference calls, liaise with members, synthesize inputs from members, prepare web/blog posts, assist with travel logistics, prepare updates on the process
- Support WEDO’s contributions to the World Urban Campaign
- Analyze -and update staff on- current events/reports
- Contribute to research on relevant topics
- Research and analyze links to Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development
- Contribute to WEDO’s ongoing development of briefs/primers and compilation documents
- Support general office and administrative tasks
You are a fit for this Fellowship if:
- You are a motivated self-starter
- You love intersectionality
- You have familiarity with sustainable development concepts and related UN processes
- You have a sense of – and a passion to learn more about - policies and trends related to urbanization, disaster risk reduction, gender equality/women’s rights and/or sustainable development
- You are enrolled in, or about to begin related Graduate studies
- You are fluent in English and proficient in at least 1 other UN language
- You are able to work 10-20 hours per week.
- You are able to complete all tasks (mundane to substantive) in a careful, timely manner
- You have a sense of humor, an ability to work well in a small team setting, and a desire to work in an informal environment
- Complete application with your cover letter and resume, priority to those received by 14 February 2017.
- The duration of each fellowship depends on the needs of the fellow/intern and WEDO programs. A minimum two-month commitment is required and applicants available for longer commitments are encouraged.
- Fellowship is unpaid, with possibility of transportation stipend
- We appreciate all who apply but based on the expected interest and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted. Please, no telephone inquiries.