Iraq nationals: WASH Project Officer
The WASH PROJECT OFFICER will provide support and supervision to daily construction activities on WASH in camps and other sites of implementation. On a daily basis the WASH Project Officer reports to WASH Team Leader and WASH Manager.
a) Reports to: WASH Team Leader and WASH Manager,
b) Subordinates: Site Foremen/Technical team (including apprentices), WASH Assistants,
• Under the general supervision of the WASH Team Leader and WASH Manager(s), support and supervise construction, maintenance and repair activities as defined by project requirements, technical standards, specifications and other documentation.
• Identify direct and indirect beneficiary needs in terms of access to suitable infrastructure and WASH facilities and other community services, taking into consideration the specific needs of vulnerable individuals and persons of concern.
• Act as a focal point for DRC WASH in intervention sites and areas of operation, participating in and representing DRC at inter-sector meetings and working groups (e.g. CCCM, Health, disability peer group)
• Support, facilitate or undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation, training subordinate staff in techniques of communication and participatory engagement.
• Work closely with the Shelter/WASH Manager(s) in order to implement projects according to relevant local, national and international technical standards.
• Provide daily updates to WASH Team Leader and WASH Manager and weekly reports to WASH Manager on progress and activities.
• Ensure regular and timely reporting of problems, potential delays or risks to project implementation to the relevant supervisor, and support in the development and execution of solutions and mitigating actions.
• Ensure full compliance of all actors and partners with DRC Code of Conduct, Code of Ethics, HAP and other compulsory regulations.
• Take responsibility for stock, inventories, materials, tools and equipment, including correct filing and documentation.
• Be responsible for safe storage, inventory and maintenance of materials, tools and equipment, as well as ensuring safety of all staff and beneficiaries during implementation of project activities, acting as safety focal point.
• Facilitation of WASH Committee and WASH Sector meetings, and any other forums as appropriate.
• Supervision and training of Technical Team apprentices; development and follow up of learn and development plan.
• Supervision and training of Hygiene Promotion Officers and Hygiene Promoters.
• Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line Manager;
• Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
• Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct, HAP and other key documents.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Significant proven work experience in supervising construction projects including water and sanitation infrastructure.
• At least 1 year experience managing teams of labourers, and other project management responsibilities (stock-keeping, reporting)
• Experience working with or for NGOs and/or UN agencies, particularly international humanitarian organisations in refugee / IDP contexts (e.g. camps).
• Proficiency in spoken and written English and Arabic is essential.
• Proficiency in the following computer programmes: MS Excel, MS Word. Autocad is a plus.
• Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member.
• Technical and/or engineering higher qualification (e.g. university degree); significant proven field experience may be accepted in lieu.
• Familiarity with international humanitarian and protection standards (e.g. Sphere)
• Excellent communication and organisation;
• Systematic planning and analytical skills
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of local communities and customary rules;
• Punctuality, professionalism and respect for applicable rules and procedures;
• Ethical, transparent and accountable decision-making;
• Independent work showing initiative, i.e. with minimal supervision and under pressure;
• High regard toward preserving confidentiality of work-related information and data;
• Self-motivation, goal/result-orientation and team work;
• Flexibility, creativeness, tolerance and maturity.
A high level of spoken and written English and Arabic is essential.