Communications and Public Relations Assistant
SEI is an independent international research institute, engaged in environment and development issues at local, national, regional and global policy levels for more than a quarter of a century. Our goal is to bring about change for sustainable development by bridging science and policy. We do this by providing integrated analysis that supports decision makers. SEI works from seven main locations, with additional offices linked to these. Project teams generally span locations.
The Communications and Public Relations Assistant is part of the Communications Cluster Team of SEI Asia Centre. The main role of this position is to assist the SEI Asia Centre in communications outreach work and activities to raise the visibility of the Centre in the Asian region; design infographics and support design and layout tasks (for infographics, posters, and publicity materials) as required by projects in the Asia Centre: and provide support with communications website management for a Mekong network project.
The appointee will be working with colleagues from the various clusters at Asia Centre in Bangkok and other SEI stakeholders and will report directly to the Communications Cluster leader.
- Assist in the creation, including design and lay-out of posters, flyers and other publicity materials for the SERVIR-Mekong project; support the Asia Centre with preparations of materials for events involving Asia Centre staff viz. workshops, conferences by preparing publicity materials in advance for events in particular for booth displays.
- Assist with communications related with the SUMERNET (Sustainable Mekong Research Network) outreach activities by providing support to the communications coordinator, especially maintaining the SUMERNET website and partner’s outputs. Help in preparing and sending the monthly “news and updates” email to the SUMERNET partners and groups.
- Assist Centre communications to strategize and plan to meet key people, partners and groups in Asia (especially Southeast Asia and the Mekong region) to ensure the Centre’s presence in strategic conferences and in publicising the work of the Centre.
- Support the Centre Director in strategic activities towards raising visibility of his work by helping to organise external CD’s meetings (and his calendar), coordinate requests for meetings, respond to general calls and maintain correspondence. The support will include taking minutes of the meetings and photographs if necessary; organising and compile meeting reports for the Centre’s follow-up.
- In the long-term, build, update and maintain an SEI Asia contacts database to ensure that the Centre can actively build and maintain our outreach with key strategic people and groups including academics, policymakers, media and civil society.
- Manage social media channels (twitter and Facebook).
- Undertake other relevant tasks on the request of the communications coordinator relevant to strategic communication and outreach of the Centre.
Educational Background: Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree desirable); preference will be given to degree in communications or public relations. If any other degree in arts or social sciences, more than five years work experience is desirable.
Relevant Years of Experience: 5 years with MA; 5-7 years with BA.
Experience in the following critical areas (“must haves”):
- Microsoft Office and Adobe CS including “Indesign”, “Photoshop” & “Illustrator”.
- Design and lay-out skills to do posters, flyers and other publicity materials intended for digital channels.
- Fluent in English (speaking, writing, and reading).
- Strong ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated planning and communication skills for supporting events, meeting preparations and display booths.
- Demonstrated English language skills for writing publicity materials, email communications and social media posts.
- Familiarity with digital communications and social media required.
- Capacity to prioritise and manage a diverse range of tasks and activities and keep deadlines.
- Able to work well both independently and within a variety of teams, contexts and cultures.
Desirable Experience (“good to have”):
- Fluent in other Asian languages.
- Knowledge of environmental issues and groups in the region.
Experience working in international or cross-cultural environments.
Salary package including health insurance and provident fund commensurate with academic background and experience. SEI Asia offers an exciting and interesting opportunity to work alongside some of the region's leading researchers to bring genuine change to the world we live in.