Assistant Analyst (Climate Finance)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an international analysis and advisory organization that examines the effectiveness of climate and energy policies. Focusing on major developed and developing country emitters, CPI evaluates policy performance and develops practical advice to help policymakers fast-track best practices. CPI works with governments, the private sector, academia, and others to ensure that our work helps countries achieve low-carbon growth.
CPI’s headquarters are in the U.S., with offices and programs in Brazil, China, Europe, India, and Indonesia. We typically partner with research and policy institutions in each of these locations to enhance our efforts through local resources and expertise. CPI is a small but dynamic organization, with a global reach and an entrepreneurial culture. We work hard to maintain an idea-driven, collaborative, non-hierarchical environment across all our teams. Our San Francisco office, like its host city, is an interactive and spirited place.
The San Francisco research team focuses on U.S. policy analysis, but also conducts projects in support of and in collaboration with our international programs. Assistant Analysts help conduct complex assignments in collaboration with other analysts in the SF office and CPI programs worldwide. Assistant Analysts will have occasional opportunity to work on projects in direct support of CPI’s senior staff and funders.
The strongest candidates will demonstrate solid quantitative skills; a proven interest in climate change, clean technology research, or policy analysis; excellent written and oral communication skills; and the ability and desire to generate actionable insights. We place a premium on problem-structuring ability, initiative, flexibility, and professional interaction skills, and on collaborative team players.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Perform rigorous quantitative and qualitative evaluation of national and international climate and energy policies
- Conceptualize and design analytic approaches
- Write CPI products, including full reports, executive summaries, blogs, and presentations
- Research and track climate and energy policy developments in the U.S. and internationally
- Interface with policymakers and stakeholders in the private, academic, and non-profit sectors
- Assist with production, editing, and quality control of outgoing products
- Support administrative needs of analyst team
- Communicate and collaborate with CPI staff working in other countries
- Travel in support of CPI’s international programs, as necessary
- BS or BA
- Some understanding of climate and energy policies in place and under discussion, especially in the U.S.
- An insightful, independent, analytical mind with a passion for continued learning
- A demonstrated aptitude for quantitative analysis
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate complex qualitative and quantitative analyses to non-technical as well as expert audiences.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Self-motivation, persistence, dependability, and self-sufficiency
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work
- Professionalism, poise, flexibility, and sense of humor
- International experience
- Experience in private sector, government or multilateral organizations
- Knowledge of finance, especially financial modeling skills
- Experience or training in statistics/econometrics, and/or in data management and manipulation
- Experience or training in environmental sciences
- Technical skills: Excel, statistical software (especially R or Stata), database design, web-based programming languages, data visualization
- Foreign language skills, especially in languages used in CPI program countries
Please visit https://climatepolicy.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=42 to submit an application for an internship and:
- Attach your CV
- Attach a cover letter describing your area of specialism, any interest in particular CPI projects and stating your availability
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.