The Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of Blue Water Baltimore's marketing and communications strategies, including our Baltimore Harbor Waterkeeper and Herring Run Nursery brands. This includes preparing marketing, advertising, public relations, brand management, social media, and internal communications for Blue Water Baltimore's fundraising, advocacy, and program audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Oversee content of all BWB communications, including website, social media, and print materials.
• Manage monthly newsletter communications.
• Develop annual report, end of year appeal, website blog posts, corporate fact sheets, press releases, and event materials to support organizational programmatic and fundraising activities.
• Work with Blue Water Baltimore staff to recognize communications opportunities and solutions; define and execute appropriate strategies to support these opportunities.
• Manage relationships with vendors, including designers, printers, and web hosts.
• Oversee administrative activities of the marketing and communications function, including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
• Act as the Blue Water Baltimore brand manager. Ensure brand integrity by maintaining and updating style sheets and other guidelines, and ensure all BWB staff maintain brand guidelines and standards.
• Produce and curate top-quality content about Blue Water Baltimore, water quality issues, and environmental concerns impacting Baltimore.
• Manage the Blue Water Baltimore website, including implementation of branding, design and usability protocols, writing, editing and optimization of content.
• Manage logistics and outreach related to press events.
• Act as liaison with the Board of Directors' Communication Committee.
• Working with Executive Director, Development Director, and other staff, develop and implement an annual strategic communication plan that will continue building Blue Water Baltimore's public profile and support fundraising and program objectives.
• Manage and oversee the communications, marketing, advertising, and media relations efforts for Blue Water Baltimore.
• Serve as the point person in media interactions that promote or impact Blue Water Baltimore, and manage opportunities for the Executive Director to serve as the Blue Water Baltimore spokesperson to the media.
• Create and execute marketing and public relations strategies that cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including key influencers.
• Proactively build relationships with reporters and editors locally and regionally, and successfully position subject matter with media to achieve high-impact placements.
• Think creatively; develop and drive innovative, dynamic marketing and communications strategies to advance Blue Water Baltimore's mission.
• Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, liberal arts or related field is required.
• Minimum of four years of communications and/or marketing experience is required.
• Demonstrated creative writing skills and proven ability to develop compelling content.
• Demonstrated leadership in creating and executing a comprehensive strategic marketing and communications program.
• Demonstrated ability to integrate digital technologies into the execution of marketing and communications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Previous management-level experience is preferred.
• Demonstrated skill in proactively building relationships with top-tier reporters and editors and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve highimpact placements is preferred.
• Non-profit marketing and communications experience is a plus.
• Working knowledge of Salesforce, Wordpress, and graphic design is a strong plus.
• Passion for a clean and healthy environment.
Salary & Benefits:
• Salary range is high $40s to mid $50s, commensurate with experience
• Employer contribution to health, dental and free vision benefits
• 401K with employer match
• Paid holiday, sick, vacation and personal time