Social Development Officer (Safeguards)
The objective of this position is to provide technical support to the Transaction Support Division (PSTS) by (i) ensuring that projects processed by the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD) comply with ADB’s social development and safeguards policies such as the Gender and Development Policy, Social Protection Strategy, Public Communications Policy, and social safeguards requirements under the Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS), and their respective operations manuals, related procedures and mandates; (ii) contributing to the interdepartmental policy discussions in the area of social development, social protection, gender and development, consultation and participation and engagement with civil society, and (iii) developing related knowledge products and services for use by PSOD clients and borrower/clients.
- Ensures the adoption, implementation and monitoring of ADB's social development and social safeguards policies into projects by conducting independent and comprehensive analysis and evaluation of project documents at all stages of the project cycle.
- At concept review stage, assists the line divisions by assessing the social and poverty impacts at project identification, preparing an Initial Poverty and Social Analysis, determining the gender mainstreaming category of the Project, preparing social safeguards categorization forms and preparing the social dimensions section of concept review papers and preparing terms of reference of consultants.
- During due diligence, conducts a preliminary review of environmental and social impact assessment reports, social development plans, gender action plans, labor management plans, retrenchment plans, environmental and social management systems and gender and social development aspects of social safeguards plans and frameworks, and advises private sector clients in incorporating social development dimensions in the design and implementation of capital markets, financial and infrastructure sector projects and enhancing the quality of various social plans to ensure compliance.
- Liaises with the Environment and Safeguards Division of the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department in addressing social dimensions of projects, i.e. gender and development, labor and social protection, collaboration with NGOs; as well as PSOD line divisions and with the Department of External Relations (DER) on consultation and disclosure requirements, among others.
- During project administration, participates in review missions by compiling relevant project data, visiting the project site, documenting meetings with the borrower/client, consultants and affected persons, providing inputs in the preparation of back to office reports, conducting a desk review of progress reports, monitoring reports, recommending actions, and measuring and evaluating compliance of projects.
Strategic and Planning Work
- Supports the review and update of social policies related to gender and development, social safeguards, social protection, gender and development, consultation and participation and engagement with civil society among others and related operations manuals.
- Reviews relevant ADB policies, operations manual, staff instructions, guidelines, and handbooks and suggests measures to ensure consistency with SPS policy requirements.
- Supports the development of knowledge products and services, including the formulation of policies, guidelines and preparation of handbooks, best practice manuals, etc., by reviewing project design and implementation experiences, liaising with project practitioners and social science experts, and monitoring the applicability of current methods.
- Provides support for preparing technical assistance (TA) projects and related activities and undertakes research on social development and social safeguards, and provides technical information to support the preparation of various reports and studies.
- Updates the PSTS safeguards team’s database of projects on compliance status of projects, contributes to the project information document (PID) for various PSOD projects, and liaises with line division staff in uploading social documentation of various PSOD projects in ADB website and eSTAR.
- Assists in the preparation of training modules and conduct of training programs on gender and development, social protection, consultation and participation and preparation of other knowledge products as necessary.
Internal and External Networking
- Participates in various communities of practice and networks (e.g. Social Development Community of Practice, Social Safeguards Networks) and informs PSOD on developments.
- Keeps the PSOD informed of social and social safeguards-related issues, policies, guidelines and processes of other multilateral, bilateral financing and other institutions.
- Supports the preparation of briefing papers, Division reports to Management, special reports and studies and contributes to the preparation of PSTS budget, activity plans and work programs.
- Assists in engagement of social staff consultants required to support PSOD in reviewing and monitoring compliance with ADB’s social requirements.
- Supports the administration of TA projects related to social development / social safeguards by monitoring progress of TA implementation, contracting consultants, supporting the organization and implementation of conferences and workshops by formulating budget, activity plans and work programs, among other tasks.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor's degree in social sciences/development studies; preferably with advanced training
- At least 8 years relevant experience in the field of social development, gender and development, social protection, and social safeguards.
- Intensive field-based experience on social development and social safeguard aspects of projects are a plus.
- Proficiency with social impact analysis, social assessments, and participatory development, and knowledge of ADB's social policies on gender and development, social protection, public communications among others; familiar with involuntary resettlement planning, indigenous peoples development planning, community driven development among others.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of current and alternative approaches and methodologies in addressing social issues into projects.
- Basic understanding of statistics.
- Aptitude to perform analytical and conceptual thinking.
- Basic knowledge of computer applications adopted by a multilateral organization.
- Competent use of information technology, particularly in the design and management of database and other knowledge management systems.
- Effective report writing and communication skills in English
People and leadership skills
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines.
- Ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.