Principal Safeguards Specialist
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years). The duration may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB, if the position continues to be required and funded under the “Leading Asia’s Private Infrastructure” (LEAP) Fund co-financing initiative with JICA. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the ned of the original or extended term.
This appointment is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Lead and provide operational coordination on safeguards to the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD) and specific inputs to selected PSOD projects to ensure compliance with ADB safeguard policies during project preparation and implementation.
Lead, monitor and report on safeguards policies compliance. Lead and coordinate the planning and development of ADB safeguards policies on environment, involuntary resettlement, and indigenous peoples within PSOD and across ADB. Contribute to the evaluation, improvement and dissemination of ADB’s safeguards policies. Support ADB’s goal of poverty reduction and sustainable development and provide assistance as needed for applying safeguards and environmental knowledge to the development of tasks and assignments. Work within a framework of broad ADB policies, principles and goals, working directly with clients, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods.
a. Overall Coordination
- Lead and coordinate the department safeguards team’s efforts in providing advice, building capacity, and advancing the development of safeguards policies in an ADB-wide context.
- Lead and coordinate the preparation of a strategic framework and work plan to build and sustain PSOD's effectiveness in addressing safeguards issues in project loan processing/administration.
- Work with PSOD management and the other members of the department’s safeguards team to ensure that appropriate resources and capacity are deployed to effectively cover ADB safeguards policies in projects preparation and implementation within the Department.
- Lead and facilitate liaison and contact with clients, non-government organizations (NGOs), development partners, and within ADB, including coordinating responses to NGO‘s.
- Take charge of public information and disclosure initiatives.
b. Safeguard Policy Compliance Monitoring
- Assist PSOD line divisions in developing, structuring and monitoring safeguards policy compliance of projects during processing and implementation.
- Lead, identify, monitor and report to PSOD management on projects with high environmental safeguards sensitivity.
c. Capacity Building
- Lead, identify, assess, and monitor overall capacity building needs on environmental safeguards within the department, including line divisions and resident missions, and clients.
- Lead, develop and administer as needed technical assistance (TA) and other training programs for capacity building.
d. Project Development
- Lead and work with PSOD Management and the safeguards team to identify areas of work beyond safeguards where safeguards and environmental sustainability may be catalyzers for new lending products.
- Lead and work with PSOD Management and the safeguards team to develop projects or programs with a specific safeguards or environmental focus.
e. Policy Review
- Lead and coordinate PSOD's participation in safeguard policy/Operation Manual (OM) formulation and review.
f. Knowledge Sharing
- Contribute significantly to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to ADB’s safeguard policies.
g. Staff supervision
- Take the role of team leader and supervise the work of team members.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
- Master's Degree, or equivalent, in Anthropology, Sociology, Applied Social Science, Environmental Science or other related fields. ; or University degree in Anthropology, Sociology, Applied Social Science, Environmental Science or other related fields and at least 5 years ADB work experience combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- At least 12 years of relevant professional experience in environmental and safeguards work, or related area and in project administration
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- International experience working in development in several countries, coordinating and working in multi-disciplinary teams