Senior Water Resources Specialist
For the Water Sector Group, contribute to the planning, development, and execution of initiatives in the water resources, with a particular focus on flood risk and integrated urban water management across all Asian Development Bank (ADB) developing member countries (DMCs). Provide technical and operational support to operating teams in relation to sector assessments relating to flood and integrated urban water management, processing and/or implementation of specific transactions in the sector and assist in strategic planning for flood and integrated urban water management. Special attention will be placed on incorporating best practices for disaster risk management and climate change adaptation, including identifying interdependencies and linkages with water and other sectors. Support ADB’s Water Financing Program and Water Financing Partnership Facility (WFPF) and other financial and technical partnerships, and work closely with task forces in the operational departments. Work within general policies, principles and goals, working directly with clients.
a. Policies, Strategy, and Frameworks• Provide technical and policy advice to sector staff and DMC clients to develop innovative policies consistent with the strategic objectives of ADB and priorities of DMCs, as well as innovative programs that would accelerate achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.• Provide effective leadership related to water resources development with specific emphasis on flood and integrated urban water management to strengthen climate and disaster resilience.• Provide advice on climate change and disaster vulnerability and risk assessments and adaptation, disaster risk management including both structural and non-structural solutions.• Contribute to the assessment of vulnerability and risks of water resources and flood and integrated urban water management to the impacts of climate change.• Undertake interregional studies and research on flood and integrated urban water management to promote new business approaches, technologies, policies and sector assessments, including with regard to eco-based solutions, and ensure that work on climate change, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and water sector is aligned. • Conduct analytical work on the integration of climate risk into the development and implementation of integrated flood risk management. • Identify emerging issues on water resources and flood and integrated urban water management of interest to the Asia Pacific region and articulate policies, strategies and approaches to address them.• Ensure integration of water sector activities relating to flood and integrated urban water management across other sectors and thematic groups including urban, climate change, disaster risk management and agriculture.
b. Operational Advice and Support • Support sector operations of ADB in upstream portfolio development work, including targeted sector assessments, diagnostics and other studies for flood and integrated urban water management in river basins (including urban and rural areas).• Provide technical and policy advice to sector staff and DMC clients to develop innovative projects consistent with the strategic objectives of ADB and priorities of DMCs, as well as innovative programs that would accelerate achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. These will be in the context of flood and integrated urban water management, climate change adaptation and disaster risk management.• Contribute to the definition and execution of coaching and training programs targeting ADB staff, with a focus on technical and operational aspects of flood and integrated urban water management under existing and new initiatives. • Provide sound advice to sector staff on initiatives to improve operational performance of flood and integrated urban water management, climate change adaptation and disaster risk management.
c. Project Management• Support regional technical assistance projects in the sector. • Support WFPF activities in the sector.
d. Promotion of Regional Cooperation • Support ADB operations in planning, developing and executing new initiatives, including support of regional cooperation in the sector, focusing mainly on technical and operational matters related to flood and integrated urban water management, climate change adaptation and disaster risk management. • Assist DMCs and cooperate with regional and international organizations in building consensus and articulating common positions and strategies on water resources and flood and integrated urban water management.• Foster regional integration and harmonization of policies, laws, regulations, codes, standards and practices on water resources and flood and integrated urban water management.• Promote flood and integrated urban water management with incorporation of climate change adaptation and DRR elements across the region and the implementation thereof.
e. Knowledge Sharing• Support strengthening of knowledge and innovation services for catalyzing investments, reforms, and capacity development on flood and integrated urban water management using latest best practices and state of the art designs.• Develop and maintain knowledge of the sector across the region covering (i) the overall range of agencies and initiatives covering state of the art flood and integrated urban water management, a list of key financiers in this area, investment needs over the short, medium and long term, investment trends and key enabling conditions to increase investments in the sub-sector; and (ii) information on best practices including policy, legislative and institutional requirements and the type of technical and operational due diligence needed for project preparation.• Conduct analytical studies and policy analysis in a wide range of issues relevant to flood and integrated urban water management in the Asia Pacific region.• Ensure mainstreaming of knowledge generated and research undertaken on water resources and beyond, focusing on the intersections between flood and integrated urban water management and focal development sectors such as agriculture, food, energy, infrastructure, urban, climate change, DRR, water supply and sanitation. • Organize special events to support and guide ADB interventions, strategies and investments in the sector.• Represent ADB at water-related events and international fora.
f. Staff supervision• Take the role of mission leader and supervise the work of mission members.• Supervise the performance of reporting staff (and consultants), providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.• Ensure the ongoing learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in integrated water resources management, engineering, flood risk management, hydrology, environmental engineering or related field. University degree in (Civil/Environmental) Engineering combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, preferably experience in designing and implementing ecosystem-based Flood Risk Management projects.
Work experience• At least 10 years of relevant experience in developing infrastructure projects in water resources and/or integrated flood risk management with strong focus on operational and technical matters, Experience in designing and implementing ecosystem-based as well as structural flood and integrated urban water management solutions. Experience in innovative approaches and concepts, including, but not related to space for rivers, floodplain restoration, and water-related aspects of green cities and sponge cities would also be an advantage.• This should also include experience in research/analytical work on the relations between climate change and water resources. • International experience working in several countries in Asia Pacific region/with ADB’s DMCs. Work experience with international organizations is an advantage.
Technical knowledge• Proven application of expertise within a specific area of ADB's operations (sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.• Able to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community.• Excellent presentation and international skills to articulate and represent ADB’s activities and directions in conferences and workshops, dynamically participate in networks, and interact effectively with ADB management, staff, and counterparts in other institutions. • Credible international sector networks across other international organizations and private / public sector entities.
People and leadership skills• When required, able to act as a mission leader / team lead, exercising supervision coordination, and planning responsibilities over the assigned team, with oversight from the Technical Advisor, Director or a more senior team leader. • Act as a mentor to more junior team members, providing guidance on projects and processing of loans/technical assistance.• Act as a coach to develop the capabilities/potential of more junior colleagues. • Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.