Contract Type: fixed term, one (01) year
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Job Grade: National
Reporting to: Humanitarian Coordinator
Job Ref No: 12504
WHO WE ARE
Oxfam is a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice. We work with people in more than 90 countries to create lasting solutions. Oxfam saves lives, develops long-term solutions to poverty, and campaigns for social change.
OXFAM has been active in Senegal for more than two decades. In recent years, our focus has been on supporting sustainable livelihoods, promoting good governance and ensuring sustainable human development in the face of crisis and human/natural disasters.
To provide operational and strategic leadership to Water Sanitation and Hygiene programming in Senegal The WASH Officer will be in charge of related portfolio of activities and initiatives in Senegal and also in The Gambia and Guinea Bissau.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Program design, development, implementation and monitoring
· Provide operational leadership of Oxfam Humanitarian WASH program, coordinating, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
· Lead on program quality to ensure that WASH activities meet Oxfam and international humanitarian standards.
· Accountable to the Humanitarian Coordinator for the delivery, effective management and monitoring, evaluation and learning of the WASH programs.
· Supervise the WASH programming being implemented by partners. Design, plan and lead the needs assessment in WASH as part of a multi-sector program assessment.
· Implement programs in the thematic areas of WASH together with our partners. Develop Log frames, robust M&E systems for programs with clear indicators of success, adapting the program to the M&E carried out. Put in place accountability mechanisms, management and communication of a responsible exit strategy.
· Contribute to and articulate policy and strategy, incorporating broader organizational policy/advocacy issues into program design and planning.
· Incorporate gender and diversity issues consistently across the WASH programs, paying special attention to gender across all components of the program including gender analysis, gender equality, promotion and protection of human rights, empowerment of women and girls, and gender balance of staff.
· Analyze resourcing needs and make recommendations on resource allocations in a context of limited resources.
· Develop the overall WASH program budget in line with assessment findings, monitor program spend by Oxfam and partners.
· Assist in fundraising and show creativity in acquiring funds.
Capacity Building, Networking and Advocacy
· Manage WASH partner relationships, assessing capacities and leading WASH capacity building for partners, developing flexible modalities for working with technical partners according to their capacity and experience.
· Train staff and partners in the use of WASH assessment and analysis tools.
· Lead capacity building plan for local partners of Oxfam involved in the response on PHP and PHE technical components.
· Represent Oxfam externally and take lead on inter-agency cluster coordination within WASH networks, taking responsibility on designing the WASH element of partnership agreements.
· Represent and advocate on behalf of Oxfam to national authorities, donors, NGOs and community leaders.
· Attend WASH related coordination meetings at country and regional level
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- A minimum of first university degree (A master’s degree is preferred) in Public Health, Water and Sanitation, Medical Sciences or closely related fields is required (e.g. studies related to water and sanitation engineering, public health, health and hygiene promotion or social/behavioral science.
- Minimum of 5 years field experience in a similar position in development and/or humanitarian programs in developing countries, in appropriate environmental health programs or similar environments, preferably with non-governmental organizations.
- Proven experience in construction of wells (hand dug, boreholes), Water distribution system, water quality testing, water treatment systems (HH and community level) , sanitation infrastructure, behavioral change methodologies (CLTS, PHAST), community health and hygiene promotion, designing participatory PHP interventions, control and prevention of disease outbreaks related to water and poor hygiene , community participation, and monitoring systems.
- Proven and substantial humanitarian management experience in leading teams, and ensuring the delivery, of WASH program strategy, either through partners or directly, in one or more challenging locations
- Proven knowledge and capacity to develop and train others in the analytical and technical WASH tools including: use of BCC and IEC materials, behavioral change methodologies, water quality, water treatment techniques, emergency sanitation
- Ability to collect, record and interpret qualitative and quantitative data
- An active commitment to promoting gender equity and the interests of people affected by disasters in all aspects of an organization’s work
- Financial management skills to steer the operational budget.
- Experience on humanitarian fundraising and humanitarian donor reporting
- Good level of IT literacy and an understanding of how new developments in technology can positively contribute to the aims of an INGO.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to motivate, influence, and negotiate.
- Fluency in French and ability to speak, read and write English
· Ability to demonstrate initiative, ingenuity and tenacity in achieving solutions to fulfil objectives and motivate others to do the same
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal supervision
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based work culture, to perform all duties appropriately in a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and be familiar with and committed to Oxfam mission and goals
· Experience working on cholera response and preparedness and/or drought context is preferred
· Able to travel to programme/project areas on a regular basis
· Knowledge of West Africa context, including Senegal in particular is desirable
· Knowledge of Portuguese is desirable
Equality and diversity
We are committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to Equal Opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group, religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit.
How to apply:
This opportunity is for a dedicated and highly motivated professional with strong commitment to Oxfam's values and beliefs. If you believe you are qualified for this post and you are the candidate that we are looking for, please submit your application and CV to: RecruitmentSenegal@oxfamamerica.org, by mentioning in the subject “Application for Humanitarian Officer- WASH officer”
THE CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 31 JANUARY 2017
Given the urgent need for this position, suitable candidates can be shortlisted and interviewed before the closing date.
ONLY SHORLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED